57 new cases of COVID-19 and five additional related deaths are being reported in Southern Health-Sante Sud Thursday.
Overall, the public health daily briefing advised of 12 additional deaths in Manitoba and 368 new cases of the virus as of 9:30 a.m. However, one case was removed due to a data correction bringing the total to 367 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 17,750.
Data shows the latest deaths include:
• a male in his 30s from the Interlake–Eastern health region;
• a male in his 50s from the Northern health region;
• a male in his 50s from the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region, linked to the outbreak at the Menno Home;
• a male in his 70s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the outbreak at Golden Links Lodge;
• a female in her 70s from the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region;
• a female in her 70s from the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region, linked to the outbreak at Fernwood Place;
• a female in her 80s from the Winnipeg health region;
• a female in her 90s from the Winnipeg health region;
• a female in her 90s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the outbreak at Maples Long Term Care Home;
• a male in his 90s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the outbreak at Golden Links Lodge;
• a male in his 90s from the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region; and
• a female in her 90s from the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region, linked to the outbreak at the Menno Home.
It's important to note, as per the public health definition, when a single case of COVID-19 is identified at a personal care home or health care facility (whether it be resident, patient, staff or visitor) the site is moved to Critical (Red), and listed as having an Outbreak.
As well, the data on new cases shows:
• 21 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;
• 48 cases in the Northern health region;
• 31 cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
• 57 cases in the Southern Health-Santé Sud health region; and
• 211 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
The data also shows:
• 9,129 active cases and 8,268 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
• there are 357 people in hospital with 52 people in intensive care due to COVID-19; and
• the number of deaths due to COVID-19 is 353. Note, due to a data error, one death that had been reported earlier has been removed.
Public health says the current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 13.1 per cent provincially and 14.9 per cent in Winnipeg.
Laboratory testing numbers show 2,913 tests were completed Wednesday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February to 362,973. Case investigations continue and if a public health risk is identified, the public will be notified.
Public health officials advise COVID-19 an outbreak has been declared at the River Park Gardens Personal Care Home in Winnipeg. The site has been moved to Critical (red) on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System.
The outbreaks declared at The Pas Homeless Shelter – Oscar's Place in The Pas and Victoria General Hospital unit 5 North and 5 South in Winnipeg have been declared over.
Possible exposure locations are listed online by region at the province’s #RestartMB Pandemic Response System webpage. For up-to-date information on possible public exposures to COVID-19 in regions, visit www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/updates/flights.html#event and click on your region.
The chief provincial public health officer urges Manitobans to only leave their homes for essential purposes. When leaving the house to obtain essentials, be sure to physically distance, wear a mask in indoor public places and avoid crowded spaces. Do not leave the home if you are sick, or when any member of your family is sick. Further, do not socialize with anyone from outside your household.
Public health officials are also advising that anyone who is symptomatic, or has a household member who is symptomatic, the entire household needs to self-isolate pending COVID-19 test results. For health-care workers, exceptions may apply and staff may be able/required to report to work. Contact your workplace Occupational Health Services or designate. For information on self-isolation, including exceptions, visit www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/fundamentals/self-isolation.html.
The online assessment tool can be found at https://sharedhealthmb.ca/covid19/screening-tool/ and COVID-19 symptoms can be found at https://manitoba.ca/covid19/fundamentals/symptoms.html.
For up-to-date information on COVID-19 in Manitoba, visit www.manitoba.ca/COVID19.
For up-to-date information on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System, visit: